SONG ASEMAVYO KUHUSU GUINESS FOOTBALL CHALLENGE


I was delighted to start my new role as Cameroon Team Manager with a very important win against Guinea-Bissau in the 2013 African Cup of Nations qualifiers. Our hosts certainly did all they could to make life hard for us but a great team effort combined with a moment of individual brilliance from Eric Choupo-Moting was enough to see us to a 1-0 victory. We can now go into the second leg in June feeling confident and making the most of the home advantage, as we try to secure our place in the next round.
The past couple of years have seen some turbulent times for the Indomitable Lions.  Even though it was such a symbolic occasion being the first on African soil, we underperformed massively in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and failed to win a single point. This was then followed by our failure to qualify for the 2012 Cup of Nations, which, along with the absence of Nigeria and Egypt, became quite a talking point. On top of that we also had some off-the-field administrative issues to deal with, and its fair to say that all of this took its toll on our national team.
As a result, I felt that it was very important to try and restore some pride and morale amongst our players as we try and start to rebuild our fortunes and reclaim our former position as one of the most competitive teams in African football.
In order to help achieve this one of the first things I have introduced, is what I call a “moral contract,” which each and every player called up to the national team will sign. The idea of the contract is to breathe a new spirit back into the Indomitable Lions’ den. It’s almost like an oath in many ways and is there to remind players the value of defending the national flag and their responsibility in wearing the national colours.
As captain of Cameroon for a decade, and now as Team Manager, I feel very strongly that this contract will help every player re-connect with what it really means to represent his country, even if signing it is really only a symbolic gesture.
Here are the 11 points that the contract outlines:
     The National Team is sacred; serving it is my sole goal
     The Green-Red-Yellow is sacred; I will honour it and defend it in every stadium where I wear it
     Playing for my country is an honour; I will represent it with loyalty, faithfulness and courage
     Each summon, each match is happiness shared with my people, my spectators and my teammates
     I will be stronger with my teammates; friendship and solidarity will be my companion
     I will respect former players from who I inherited this jersey; they handed it to me illustriously and I will hand it on gloriously
     I will communicate with my coaches, my teammates and my managers; dialogue will be my strength
     Anytime and anywhere, whether regular or substitute, I will serve with enthusiasm and professionalism
     I will give my best on the pitch; I will be proud and keep my head high
     From North to South, from East to West, I will be an example to Cameroonian and African youths
     I am indomitable, I will remain indomitable
I was delighted to see the players as well as the technical staff welcome this innovative step with such enthusiasm when they all signed it for the first time ahead of the game against Guinea-Bissau and I would like to think it contributed in some way towards our successful result.
Achieving greatness is about ability, no question. But it is also about pride, attitude, teamwork and professionalism, and if we can combine all of these qualities we will start to achieve our full potential once again. Now we have started this new era so positively I hope we can continue to stay true to these 11 points and keep building towards a bright future for the Indomitable Lions.
Please remember to drink responsibly, 18+/21+.
Rigobert Song is a Guinness® Football Challenge™ ambassador.  You can play the Guinness® Football Challenge™ and test your football knowledge on the mobile phone game - sign up for free at m.guinnessvip.com

Comments